Saturday, October 22, 2011

What are you going to do with that degree?

When I first came to Northern my plan was so set on being in the nursing program, going to graduate school to become a practitioner and then working at a children's hospital. I picked this profession for job security, I really enjoyed anatomy and more specifically I wanted to help people. I started taking a nursing class my freshman year and knew it just wasn't the right fit. 

I wasn't sure what I wanted to do with my life... I was always set on being in the medical field that I had never given the time of day to anything else that could've potentially suited my interests better. In my search I found the communications department. I changed my major during spring quarter to Public Relations. To be completely honest, I had no idea what PR was all about. I heard event planning, public speaking, etc. Obviously, there is a lot more to it than that and I still wasn't sure if being a PR practitioner was where my passion was at. 

By the end of my sophomore year, I knew I did not want to be in the PR department anymore, but yet again I had no idea what I wanted to do. The more I thought about a profession I would love waking up every morning to do the easier it became to realize what my true passion is... student life.

During my time in high school and now in college I have always been very active in multiple and a variety of organizations. I love everything organizations have to offer. They help develop: leadership abilities, a strong network of people who share similar thoughts, a sense of responsibility and personal growth. I gained a lot of wonderful friendships, professional mentors, confidence in my abilities as a leader and group member and tons of time and efforts that connect me to campus. Student life is what made my high school years memorable and is making my college experience enjoyable and the best it could possibly be. 

Over summer, I looked into how I could eventually work with a student affairs office. I found graduate schools that offer college student personnel and higher education administration degrees. The beginning of this school year came around and I made my final switch to communications studies as my major and started getting information on the GRE and the graduate schools/ programs I was interested in. I am completely confident and excited that I have found what I am supposed to be doing with my life. My passion is with student life and colleges. Even though I do love Ohio Northern I cannot wait to move onto graduate school, get experience working with students and then starting my future on a college campus in a Student Affairs office.

Is it 2013 yet?

No comments:

Post a Comment